Things Get Painted: Previously, on the hoard...

Despite my best efforts to keep this blog going, a few things happened around the middle of last year which simultaneously ate into my time and prevented me from painting in a manner I was happy with. This meant that while I did get some things painted, I never got around to blogging about them. I can hopefully find time in the coming weeks to go and post up some photos of older work, but at the moment that it more of a hope than a plan.

I have, however, been able to get some things painted recently. So this post is going to focus on the recent Reaper Bones minis I've painted over the last few weeks.


This happy fellow has been sitting half painted like this for the past 5 years or so. I've always hated the fact that I never painted it, as I always thought it was a cool looking model. A few weeks ago, I managed to clear off and reset my painting desk. This was the first model painted at it, mainly because I just thought that after all this time, I could just drybrush the body and pick out a few details, call it done, and hide it at the back of the cabinet .

But I had too much fun, and, well...


This is a seriously fun model to paint. I need more of them. This was a good refresher project, as it let me get old movements back and remember a few things about painting, which I haven't done properly for most of the year. Yes, it's not perfect, but I still get a kick out of it, and it's hard not to smile at that face. 


A few nights later, while some friends were round for painting, I grabbed a Bat Swarm from my Bones box, and figured I could paint that quickly. 


The MDF base is just a holding base for it to get it to sit level. This was not planned to be anything special, and it was honestly more fun to paint the gravestone than the bats. I picked out their tiny faces a bit, but got half-hearted about midway on this job, so didn't do the best job I could. Still, one more painted mini, and as a DM, monsters are always useful. 

Finally, my most recent work in progress, a Yeti from Bones 3. 


This was really another drybrush excuse, this time with white fur. I tried to make the skin on the face, hands, and feet a darker grey colour to stand out from the fur. I also did the eyes and claws in a frosty blue colour to look a bit different and try to bring some more colours into a warm looking model. I'm happy with the result, but it is yet to be finished. The plan is to do the other two from the set up, then finish them with some larger snowy bases (Perhaps it's time for me to bust out the crushed glass after all these years). Still, at the moment this yeti is table ready, so I can use this one on it's own in a pinch if needed. 


Still, the painting continues! And that's the best thing about this recent run. I've also started earmarking a few outstanding projects to just complete and move on. Once I got these going, I fixed a few unbased Night Goblins up, and before I based them, started work on these three:



I do love my goblins...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things Get Painted: Lessons Learned from Black and White Painting

Things Get Painted: GW Contrast Paints

Things Get Painted - Seishin, and some first impressions of Hexwraith Flame