Things Get Painted - New Year, New Crew(s)

Everytime I think I'm going to blog more here, I get delayed longer. So I'll try blogging again... and then spend three weeks trying to finish this post. 

Back in late November, I started painting a new Malifaux crew. I had been trying to paint Ulix and his pigs for a while, and some time off with room to paint let me give it a shot.

First I did the Wild Boars. Initially, these were suspected to be something I painted, and rarely used. Since painting them, I've got to play two games, and a quite enjoy them! All these models were painted to test out the sketch style contrast minis has been using. While it didn't show much on these models (I suspect due to dry brushing with opaque paint countering the lights and darks initially laid down for thinner paints), u think they still turned out well.

Piglets were next! These were an addition to the core box, and also a good reason to figure out flesh tones for the larger pigs.

These are among my favourite malifaux models now.

I really enjoyed the colours I had, then adding some violet shades to the skin really made them stand out. It's lucky I liked painting them, because it looks like I need a lot more of these as well...

Penelope was next. I found this was a really good model to go with sketch style. It brought out a lot of the facial details well. Overall, it's a fairly basic model colour wise, but I was pleased with the overall look.

Old Major and The Sow were next up. The Sow was a bit of a challenge, as I wasn't sure if the texture would come through well. Because of the thin layers, it seems to have worked OK though.

Old Major was done up as a larger piglet really. There were a few tweaks like the lip which the piglets don't have, but he also had a collar. I tried some NMM on the medal and was pleased with the look. I guess that means NMM is what I'm using for metallics in this crew then.

Finally, the first Gremlins appear right at the end of the project! Old Cranky and Ulix were quite fun to paint. There were a few sections I wasn't sure on colours which would match the crew so far, but borrowing the warm brown from Penelope, the pig tusk colours, faded red from Old Major, and a few other colours, I was pleased with the result. These were really fun models to paint, even if they do feel a bit spindly.

Finally, the crew is all together! I used two different silflor tufts to give the base some more texture and interest, and the long tufts really show how small the piglets can be. I'm really happy with how the crew turned out, and given how quickly it was done, it made me want to paint up another crew quickly as well.

In fact, I made a pretty quick decision on what was next...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things Get Painted - Infinity Haqqislam

Things Get Played - Kingdom Death: Monster - We don't talk about Gems Light...

Things Get Painted - Lynx Helicopters