Things Get Opened: Wyrd Gencon Specials – Nightmare Teddy and Miss Demeanour

WOW! So there was a... more than significant delay in getting the next post up...

And to add insult to injury, I've got photos ready to post, but I just haven't got any text to post them with! I've had thing after thing come up and delay me everytime I think I have a chance to do something for the blog, and it keeps dragging out.

So anyway, I'm back, and hopefully by the time this refreshes onto the blog, I'll have a few more lined up ready to go towards the New Year. My GD photos are still waiting to be posted, but they might come out early in the New Year. Meanwhile, here is a look at a few things I got just before Demons, and I figured I would do a post about them similar to the Dreadfleet one I did.

So, back in (oh, so long ago) August, Wyrd went to Gencon, and took with them a few specials. The main three “Get 'em quick” style ones were Nightmare Edition Teddy, Nightmare Edition Dead Justice crew box, and Miss Demeanour. Miss Demeanour was a special one, as you'd get one per order of $100 US or more, but couldn't just walk up and get her. But seeing as the two Nightmare Editions were $50 each, it wasn't too hard to actually get an order worth that much. Now I did get a Dead Justice box, but seeing as there are an entire box of models in that one, I'm doing them in a separate post. For now, I'll focus on Teddy and Miss Demeanour.

Now, my first Malifaux crew was Pandora, and I've already got a Teddy, but I've got a soft spot for the character, but when I heard that there was going to be a Nightmare Edition, I got rather excited. And when I saw it, I knew I had to get it. And I thought it was so nice...



...I got it twice :D

I've found Teddy to be a strange model both painting wise and gaming wise. In the game, it's taken me a while to figure out how to get him to kill stuff without him getting killed first. When I painted the original one, he suffered from being a bit... flat... so it made it a bit strange painting him when you went from a wide model to a very narrow one just by turning the model. Now the Nightmare edition is a bit different. Taller, undead-er, a bit more threatening. And I've heard it several times referred to as a... furry adult novelty. But enough with the talk of bizarre uses for wargaming miniatures, and onto the model itself.

So, in the box:



The body itself is a single piece, with one arm attached. There are two options for the head, two options for the left arm, and a set of claws. The claws are all separate, and attach into the paws through some pre-drilled gaps. There is also a little chubby kid for Teddy to terrorise, and a 50mm base. For those of you gaming inclined, there's also a game card for the game, with the Nightmare Teddy artwork on it. The Nightmare Teddy operates the same way as regular Teddy in game, so he's just an alternate model with a bit more variation than a quick symbol tossed on.



Overall, the model has some good variation. One thing pointed out was that with the alternate heads, you end up with a spare Teddy sized head. With a Lord Chompy Bits list, that can take multiple Teddys, not only could you take the differnet builds of the Nightmare Edition, but use the spare heads in a few conversions. In fact, I've already got a few ideas for these in the end as well...

As for Miss Demeanour...



Miss Demeanour is an alternate Convict Gunslinger model. Wyrd have done a few alternate male and female models such as the Guild Guards and Gunsmiths, and Miss Demeanour supplied the alternate Gunslinger. Like Teddy, it operates the same as the original model, but allows for a bit more variation and a way to tell two models apart on the field.



The model parts aren't as exciting as Teddy. A main body, and two separate arms. But at the end of the day, I honestly prefer a model that doesn't have a handful of tiny parts that need to be pinned, attached, glued, puttied etc. before I can start painting it.

Aaaaaanyway, that's it for now. I'll post this up, and I should hopefully be able to get a few more to appear in the next few weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things Get Painted: Lessons Learned from Black and White Painting

Things Get Painted: GW Contrast Paints

Things Get Painted - Seishin, and some first impressions of Hexwraith Flame